Frankly, bergamot is surely not one of the oils, whose benefits can be confined to mere numbers. The oil has long been known to have properties that differentiate it from the rest. It has gained crusaders in reputed names of essential oils’ manufacturing companies.
- Febrifuge: Febrifuge is a substance or an agent that reduces fever and lowers body temperature. Bergamot is a good febrifuge due to many reasons. First, being an anti biotic, it fights infections from virus, bacteria and protozoa which cause fever, such as influenza (virus), malaria (protozoa) and typhoid (typhus bacteria), and thus helps curing fever. Second, it stimulates the metabolic system and secretions, thereby giving a feeling of warmth and resulting in more secretion (perspiration or sweat) from the Eccrine glands (sweat glands) and sebaceous (sebum) glands, thus reducing body temperature.
- Analgesic: It reduces the feeling of pain in the body. Actually it stimulates secretion of certain hormones which lessen sensitivity of nerves to pain. Thus it is very helpful in case of headache, sprains etc. all those symptoms which require heavy dosage of analgesic pills.
- Digestive: As discussed above, it activates and increases secretions of the digestive acids, enzymes and bile and facilitates digestion. It also synchronizes or regulates the peristaltic motion of the intestines and this way too, help in digestion.
- Cicatrisant: This property of Bergamot oil is the reason behind its extensive use in cosmetics, skin-care products such as beauty soaps, creams, lotions etc. Cicatrisant is a property or an agent which helps the scar and other marks on the skin to disappear. It also makes the distribution of pigments and melanin even and uniform, resulting in the fading away of marks.
- Deodorant: No doubt, this property of bergamot oil is going to attract the teenagers who are after every new deodorant in the market and desperately want something really refreshing and natural. This is an excellent deodorant. Its own refreshing aroma (fragrance) and disinfectant properties (which inhibit growth of germs causing body-odor) make it a really effective and attractive package as a deodorant.
- Anti Spasmodic: It relaxes nerves and muscles and thus gives quick relief in cramps, convulsions, painful muscle contractions etc.
- Vermifuge: It kills worms. Thus it is going to be a very fragrant choice for children who have worms. It can also be applied on the affected tooth or used as a mouthwash to kill oral germs and protect teeth from cavities.
Okay, go through our reference links now -